Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Be Still


Something you should know about me, I am a chronic over sleeper.  Like it's a real problem for me.  I am late all of the time.  I am working on it, but it is definitely a work in progress. I am a work in progress.  People often tell me things start before they actually do in an effort to combat this, and sometimes I am still late even with the false start time.  I say all of this to show that I am really really excellent at rest.  It's a gift and I take my responsibility to use my "gift" very seriously.  What I am terrible at is holy rest.  Sabbath.  To be still.

Be Still....two little words with such big meaning. Two little words...that I have been seeing everywhere. In many different ways I have encountered these two little words or I have encountered books, podcasts, and posts that carry the same theme.  Themes such as be still, rest, Sabbath, and other such similar topics.  After a certain amount of times, I started to think to myself, perhaps I am supposed to be learning something here.  *sometimes it takes me awhile to get the message 

One of the ways that be still came up was in my bible study and bible reading.  I am doing the rhythm and grace study from Amen Paper Company and Psalms 46:10 was one of the verses.

"Be Still, and know that I am God"  

....seems pretty self explanatory to me, but oh how difficult it is to get this right in practice.  I mean what does it even mean to Be Still?

To figure out what this meant for me and my current walk, it took a bit more reading *and a few more reminders from God*  

I was listening to several podcasts a few days ago while I was sewing, one from Annie Downs and the other from Jess Connolly, both of them mentioned the ideas of Sabbath and a holy rest.  This is something that I personally am terrible at.  With anxiety, it is hard to shut myself down and to just be.  I am pretty terrible at it actually.  I don't mean just sitting around doing mindless instagram scrolling, I am great at that.  I am talking about sitting there and just being with Jesus.  Hearing what He has to say.  I am fantastic at rest, it's the holy rest I need to work on. So I decided to look into it, and try actually practicing a soul rest.

I am going to be working on what a soul rest actually looks like for me, and what the Bible says about it.  I am looking forward to delving into a holy rest, and growing even deeper in love with Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment